Skip to main content

A Scarf's Dreams

Here's another story I wrote for Square Pegs. I was given ten minutes to write a story from the perspective of an object I had with me. I chose my scarf. This is the unedited version.

A Scarf's Dreams

I'm a good scarf, I am. All white and cream and golden sequins, warmer than anything. At least, in my opinion.
I've been around a bit, wrapped around a few people's necks, been to a lot of places. Been on holiday to the New Forest (those donkeys, though). Been to Chester Zoo too. Got to say that those elephants were my favourite. They've got nice big necks and really long noses. Looks like they catch cold easily. I could keep them very warm, make sure they don't get sick. Someone should make a scarf for an elephant. I'm sure it would make them happy and keep them from getting ill. I worry about stuff like that, you see?
What does a scarf have to worry about, I hear you ask? Well, I'm glad you asked, 'cause no one ever seems to care what a scarf thinks. I'll tell you. I worry about a bunch of stuff. I worry about getting thrown away. Every time winter passes and I get put away for next year, I shiver and wait in dread for the day my owner'll get a new scarf and toss me away. Then winter comes and so do I, safe for another few months. I also worry about keeping my owner warm enough. I don't want them to get sick. Imagine if they got sick and died? Like in all those classic novels (yeah, that's right, I read). I'd have basically killed my owner by not keeping them warm enough. That's why it's so annoying when they forget me. This isn't a joke! Sickness is serious business. Putting aside how broken-up I'd be over losing my owner, I've got dreams of my own!
Yeah, scarfs have dreams too. I once knew a scarf who dreamed of fame. Or rather, of being owned by a famous person. Specifically the Queen. Very high ambitions, that one. But not me. No, my dream is simple.
I want to be an heirloom.
I want to be passed down from generation to generation, with lots of stories to tell. I want to have children look at me with wide eyes when they learn how old I am, how long I've been in their family. Can you imagine it? I'd be able to say to all those snooty scarfs (you know the ones, the ones all made of silk and all nice and shiny) yeah, you're real nice. Very shiny and silky. But are you a family heirloom? I think not.

See? Pretty simple dream really, I think. Not hard to be fulfilled. I've just got to avoid getting a hole. Or letting my owner get sick. 'Cause then they'd die and I wouldn't be an heirloom then, I'd just be that one scarf who let their owner die because they were bad at warmth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Christian Fiction

So I have a secret to spill.
I really don’t like most so-called ‘Christian’ fiction.
There. I said it. In fact, I outright hate a lot of it. Not all, there are quite a few hidden gems. In fact, I’d be happy to recommend some, if you want. **coughcough**cslewis**coughcough**
But as a general rule, I do not like books marketed as Christian fiction. In fact, I don’t like the idea of a ‘Christian’ genre period.
I used to like them, when I was younger. But, as I got older, I started feeling more and more…dissatisfied, I guess you could say. I finished them and I ended up feeling…meh. Not strongly at all.
And I wasn’t sure why.
After all, they were the sort of books that, as a Christian, I should enjoy. I should finish them and feel strengthened as a believer, come out feeling more ready to live for Christ.
But I didn’t.
And it was actually kind of upsetting to realise. I felt like I was a bad Christian because I came out of them feeling empty, instead of emotional and excited.
And I starte…

Beautiful Books: Ghosts, Doughnuts and Other Related Things

So my last blogpost was a serious one where I was kind of just ranting about Feelings™ and I had no chill. But this week we’re back to me being an idiot with gifs, so I’m happy! I say with gifs, but Blogger won't insert them, so we're gifless for this week, sadly. So just me being an idiot. I'm sure that's exactly the same.
I haven’t posted since January (except for last week and I didn’t feel like I could ramble about this in that post) and that’s because I’m the worst. But I did have my reasons and originally I didn’t intend to start back at blogging until I had quite a few posts written and ready. That didn’t happen ‘cause of the last post which my mum made me post.

But anyway, I am back now, so hopefully everything should go sort of smoothly. Once again, I shall aim at getting a post out every week, though it’ll be Saturdays from now on, but I am not making promises, because that basically dares me to forget. So you can expect regular posts, but don’t expect too h…

Prepping for NaNoWriMo

Hey guys!

So this week's post is all about preparing for NaNoWriMo. And we're still only part way through Preptober, so I'm not late! Good start.


Prepping for NaNo is a bit different, in my opinion, to prepping for a normal first draft. I made a post awhile ago about planning vs not-planning, here: On Planning (Or Rather A Lack of Planning). And I still stand by it. However, for NaNo I think it's a bit different.

NaNo is about sitting and writing, nothing else. You really can't afford to be taking time out of writing to research or develop a character or develop your world. When I write without planning (which, as you can see from that link above, is my preferred way of writing), I find myself pausing to think about my plot or my characters. It works for me, but it does mean my first drafts tend to be relatively slow in coming. That doesn't work for NaNo.


You need to pound out 50,000 words in one month and ideally those words should probably make sense. I'v…